The 2nd Turkmenistan International Gas Congress (TGC-2011) was held on the 25th -26th of May in “Avaza” the National Tourism zone on the Turkmenistan Caspian Sea coast. The congress attracted in excess of 500 delegates, representing over 160 organisations from 31 countries.
Among more than 500 delegates are representatives of the European Commission, the Energy
Charter Secritariat, and heads of the energy ministries and departments of the United States, Russia, UAE, India, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and the Republic of Korea.
Heads and leading specialists of companies such as Chevron (USA), ExxonMobil (USA), Baker
Hughes (USA), Honeywell (USA), Shell (Netherlands-UK), OMV (Austria), RWE (Germany), BP (UK), Gaffney, Cline & Associates ( UK), SOCAR (Azerbaijan Republic), GAIL (India), Petronas (Malaysia), CNPC (China), Total (France), LG (Republic of Korea), Hyundai E&C (Republic of Korea), MMHETPGM, Intergas Central Asia (Kazakhstan), SNR Denton (USA), Petrofac (UAE), Japan Bank for International Cooperation (Japan), Statoil (Norway), Intek Energy (Turkmenistan) and Dewey & LeBoeuf (USA) spoke at the Gas Congress.
Foreign participants underlined the increasing role of Turkmenistan as a major gas exporter to world energy markets of Eurasia. That is vividly illustrated by increased supplies of Turkmen ‘blue fuel’ to China and the Islamic Republic of Iran via new gas pipelines as well as the dynamic work on development of new energy export routes towards Afghanistan, Pakistan and India and EU member states, where energy demands increase with every passing year.
The reports and presentations made by the representatives of numerous companies stated the ardent willingness to expand business partnership in the energy sphere with Turkmenistan, which rapidly strengthens its positions in the world energy market, that was stipulated by the favourable investment policy of Turkmenistan and huge hydrocarbon resources, natural gas in particular.
The Turkmenistan Gas Congress, TGC 2011, brought together the international gas community to discuss the sustainable development of the global gas industry and the role of gas in a sustainable energy future, regional and inter-regional cooperation, energy security and reliability of supply and demand, market trends and the future direction of the industry, global cooperation between gas producing countries, Turkmenistan’s growing role in the global gas industry and the wealth of investment opportunities that exist in the development of Turkmenistan’s vast gas reserves.
The congress, officially organised by the National Gas Company of Turkmenistan TurkmenGas, was opened on behalf of the President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdymuhammedov by the Deputy Chairman of Cabinet of Ministers of Turkmenistan Baymyrat Hojamuhammedov.
Mr. Hojamuhammedov was joined for the official opening ceremony by the Chairman of TurkmenGas Amanali Khanalyev, Minister of Oil & Gas Industry & Mineral Resources of Turkmenistan Bairamgeldy Nedirov, Head of the Delegation of the European Union H.E. Norbert Jousten, Minister of Energy of United Arab Emirates Mohamed Dhaen Mahasoon Alhamli, Ambassador for Energy and Resources Republic of Korea Kim Eun Seok, Deputy Minister of the Ministry of petroleum and Natural Gas of India Sudhir Bhargava and Platinum Sponsor of TGC 2011, Chevron, represented by the President of Chevron Nebitgaz BV Turkmenistan Douglas Uchikura.
The second session of the congress was chaired by Yagshigeldy Kakaev, Chairman of the State
Agency for the Management of Hydrocarbon Resources and Ronan Deasy of Shell who was joined by Peter Holding General Manager for Russian and Caspian region at GGA, and senior representatives from RWE Supply & Trading, LG International Corp, BP and Total.
Throughout the congress the heads of Turkmenistan’s national companies TurkmenGas,
Turkmenneft, Turkmengeology, Turkmenneftegasstroy, TurkmenChemia and the Turkmenbashi oil processing plants holding company reiterated their government’s interest in developing mutually beneficial partnerships with international gas companies able to provide expertise, experience and state-of-the-art technology needed for the rapid development of Turkmenistan’s abundant and still largely untapped resources.
A particularly strong programme of 50 industry specialist speakers addressed the congress.
Key State speakers included:
- Baymyrat Hojamuhammedov, Deputy Chairman, Cabinet of Ministers, Turkmenistan
- Amanali Khanalyev, Chairman, National Gas Company TurkmenGas
- Bairamgeldy Nedirov, Minister, Ministry of Oil and Gas Industry and Mineral Resources, Turkmenistan
- Yagshigeldy Kakaev, Chairman, State Agency for Management and Use of Hydrocarbon Resources under the President of Turkmenistan
- Annaguly Deryaev, Chairman, National Oil Company, Turkmenneft
- Tore Yagshymuradov, Chairman, State Geological Company Turkmengeology
- Akmurat Yegeleyev, Chairman, State Oil & Gas Construction Company Turkmenneftegasstroy
- Sahatmurat Mamedov, Director, Turkmenbashi Oil Processing Plants Holding Company
- Muradgeldy Kurayev, Chairman, State Petrochemicals Company TurkmenChemia
- Mukhammednur Khalylov, Director, Institute of Geology, Turkmengeology
- Irina Bairamova, Director, Institute for Oil & Gas, TurkmenGas
Key International State speakers included:
- H.E. Kim Eun Seok, Ambassador for Energy and Resources, Republic of Korea
- H.E. Mohamed Dhaen Mahasoon Alhamli, Minister of Energy, United Arab Emirates
- Sudhir Bhargava, Assistant Secretary, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, India
- H.E. Norbert Jousten, Ambassador, Head of the Delegation of the European Union to the Republic of Kazakhstan, accredited to Turkmenistan
- Daniel D. Stein, Senior Adviser, Office of the Special Envoy for Eurasian Energy, US Department of State
- Vladimir Lapikov, Adviser to the Minister, Ministry of Energy of the Russian Federation
- Mussabek Isayev, Deputy Director General, International Economic Relations, Intergas Central Asia JSC
- Patrick Larkin, Senior Adviser to the Secretary General, Energy Charter Secretariat
- Rafiga Huseynzada, Vice-President Environment, SOCAR (State Oil Company of Azerbaijan)
- Ashwani Kumar Gumber, Deputy General Manager for Business Development, GAIL (India)
Afghanistan, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, France, Finland,
Germany, Greece, India, Iran, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uzbekistan
Report Material provided by:
Summit Trade Events (Organisers of TGC 2011, Turkmenistan Gas Congress)
Unit F34, Argo House,
Kilburn Park Road,
Tel: +  (0) 207 625 0000
Fax: +  (0) 207 624 9030
Web site: www.summittradeevents.com
Event website: www.turkmenistangascongress.com