Three more candidates have entered the race for presidential elections in Turkmenistan, scheduled for 12 March 2022.
The Party of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs, which represents the Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs, has nominated Babamyrat Meredov, the director of the Wepaly Gurluşyk Economic Society as its candidate. Prior to forming this company, he was a teacher at the Beka Seytakov Pedagogical College in the city of Dashoguz.
A citizens’ initiative group in Ashgabat has nominated Hydyr Nunnaev, vice-rector for scientific work of the Turkmen State Institute of Physical Culture and Sports, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, as its candidate.
A citizens’ initiative group in Dashoguz province has nominated Maksat Odeshov as its candidate. He is the chairman of the chapter of the Democratic Party of the district named after Saparmurat Turkmenbashi. He is also a member of the parliament.
This brings the total number of candidates to nine.
Here are the other six candidates already in the race:
- Ahal province – Maksatmyrat Ovezgeldiyev, head of the sanitary and epidemiological service of the Babadaykhan district
- Mary province – Kakageldi Sariyev, Director of the Research and Production Center “Renewable Energy Sources” of the State Energy Institute of Turkmenistan
- Balkan province – Berdymammet Gurbanov. chief physician of the Avaza sanatorium of the Ministry of Health and Medical Industry,
- Lebap province – Perkhat Begendzhov, Director of the financial and economic secondary vocational school in the Lebap province
- Agrarian Party – Deputy Head of the Administration of the Mary Velayat Agadzhan Bekmyradov
- Democratic Party – Deputy Prime Minister Serdar Berdimuhamedov
Meanwhile, the candidates registered earlier have hit the campaign trail.
Serdar Berdimuhamedov, the DPM for finance and economy, and the candidate of the Democratic Party of Turkmenistan, addressed a gathering of voters in Dashoguz province on 21 February 2022.
He promised that if elected he will pay great attention to the development of Dashoguz, together with other provinces of Turkmenistan.
“The creative reforms initiated by President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov will continue in the future,” he said.
He mentioned the areas of his focus in Dashoguz if elected to the office. These include the development of housing construction, providing the population with high-quality drinking water, the rational use of water resources, the development of national and international tourism in the region, the construction of new modern general education schools and preschool institutions in cities and villages.
He promised to reconstruct the Ashgabat-Dashoguz road, and build the roads connecting the administrative centre of the province with the Ruhubelent and Kunyaurgench districts.
He said that he will support the entrepreneurs, particularly in the agro-industrial sector. /// nCa, 22 February 2022