In facts and figures – from speech of the President of Turkmenistan at Elders Council meeting of 14 September 2016
- More than $ 144 billion dollars of investments were mastered and directed to production assets during the years of independence.
- 544 facilities of production and non-production sphere were commissioned.
- During the years of independence, 35 million sq. meters of housing was constructed and put into exploitation.
- Currently, in Turkmenistan per capita housing amounts to 23.2 square meters, that is two times more than in 1991.
- The volume of industrial production increased 7 times. New industries created, which use local raw materials.
- Refineries started production of polypropylene and polyethylene.
- The country produces more than 35 million tons of cement, which is 4 times more than in 1991.
- Electricity generation raised by 55.7%.
- The volume of liquefied natural gas production (LPG) increased by 23 times and the production of fertilizers – 7 times.
- The textile industry in 2015 produced 120 thousand tons of cotton yarn and 290 million meters of cotton fabric. That is 24.4 and 7 times (respectively) more than in 1991.
- External trade turnover increased by 8 times. Trade relations have been developing with 100 countries of the world.
- In 2016, Turkmenistan harvested 1.6 million tons of wheat and more than 1.1 million tons of cotton.
- Turkmenistan has built pipeline Turkmenistan-Uzbekistan-Kazakhstan-China. Second line of the gas pipeline to Iran is under construction. The construction of TAPI gas pipeline has been launched.
- In 2007, the new stage of economic and social reforms was announced. The scientific basis of the national economy has been developed. It is socially-oriented model, based on government regulation.
- Accelerated pace of development of retail trade and expansion of service sector indicate the growth of purchasing power of citizens.
- Turkmenistan intensively realizes projects of railway Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Tajikistan (TAT), Olympic Village, national tourist zone Avaza, the second phase of the lake Altyn Asyr, and the international Turkmenbashi port, airports.
- State program for the production of import-substituting products and export expansion, program for creation of electronics industry are being implemented.
- Private entrepreneurship is developing. The share of private sector in GDP is 68% (without energy sector). The country has created 25 thousand private enterprises.
- The foreign policy of Turkmenistan is aimed at maintaining relations with the countries of Asia-Pacific, Middle East, America and Europe, UN, OSCE and CIS.
- Turkmenistan has been elected five times as vice-chairman of the UN General Assembly sessions (at 58th, 62nd, 64th, 68th and 71st).
Plans for Future
The main vectors of economic development will be taken into account when developing 2017 budget.
Closest attention will be paid to economic growth, based on intensive development of industries through diversification.
Ensuring the well-being of the population is the main direction of state policy oriented at development of health, education and culture.
The education sector will be focused on the introduction of teaching in foreign languages, development of science.
In the health sector the prevention of diseases and partnerships with world centers will be continued.
In order to maintain the social security of the population it is necessary to support an increase in pensions, salaries and scholarships in the amount of not less than 10%.
Not less than 75-80% of the total budget expenditure should be allocated for social sphere.
The priorities are the protection of motherhood and childhood, effective human resources management and management of the labor market, creation of enterprises of different ownership forms.
In 2017, the volume of investments will amount to 42.7 billion manat, including for construction of production facilities will be invested 34.4 billion manats (85%) and 8.3 billion manat – for construction of non-production sector.
It is planned to build 400 facilities, including 270 – production and 130 – social.
Vast investments will be directed for construction of TAPI pipeline.
Priorities in the power industry: construction of new and reconstruction of existing power plants for export and local use of electricity.
Priorities in the chemical industry: Huge investment will be allocated to Garlyk mining complex for the production of potash fertilizers, urea plant in Karabogaz. The foundations for production of iodine and bromine will be laid.
In transport and communications sector, Turkmenistan prioritizes implementation of project of high-speed highway Ashgabat-Turkmenbashi, Turkmenbashi port modernization, modernization of highways Ashgabat–Turkmenbashi, Ashgabat–Mary–Turkmenabad–Farab, Ashgabat–Garagum-Dashoguz.
In 2017, construction of the third phase of the Olympic Village will be completed, 1.2 million square meters of housing, schools for total capacity of 17 thousand seats, pre-schools for 4000 places, hospitals for 1,200 places, health centers for simultaneous servicing of 1,400 patients will be built. 2,000 kilometers of power lines will be constructed. Thousands of jobs will be created. /// nCa